Help for the deskbound
I have a job that requires most of my time to be spent at a desk, typing and doing other computer-related activities. This is not particularly conducive to staying loose for my yoga practice, so I’ve had to come up with some ways to stretch out during the day. Here are some tips to keep yourself from feeling the crunch of an all day sitting session.
1. Get up and move around as often as possible. Stand up to take a phone call or walk to a coworkers desk to ask a question instead of emailing.
2. Have something under your desk to put your feet up on. This comes in handy for a mini-forward fold, which really energizes legs that have been dangling off the edge of a chair for hours.
3. Stretch one arm in front of your face, palm facing up. Pull back on the fingers with the other hand. Repeat on the other side. Do this at least twice a day, maybe more on your mouse-controlling hand.
4. Do a few sitting side bends, arms up, to stretch out the waist.
5. At least once during the day, close your eyes for 30 seconds or more, especially if you stare at a computer screen.
These are just a few things I’ve found to help me get through the day until I can get onto a mat…post in the comments what helps you!